Most classes have the following studios
- Drawing students choose the medium, as well as the paper. They also have access to many different "How to Draw" books. I have one first grade class that LOVES to use the whiteboards. I've told them that they may NOT use any text on the whiteboards, only images
- Collage we've been discussing the different adhesives and which to use for which projects
- Construction this is a favorite with boys and girls. I do have to remind them that if they're making something to play with, i.e. an action figure, or spaceship, they can't play with it until recess. They have just begun to paint their pieces.
- watercolor (some have tempera paints as well!)
- Architecture which we like to refer to as "temporary art". Kids can build structures with a variety of blocks.
- Fiber this includes weaving and sewing. I've just begun introducing these to groups of two or three at a time.
"this is just a design. See all the colors? I made them." first grader
"This is a machine thing. It gives you a sunburn, see? A blue sunburn." third grader
I drew this and made it colorful to match the building. first grader
Then they are encouraged to sketch what they've built. I love to see the reluctant drawers draw their buildings.